Monday, June 24, 2013

FRIED GREEN JOY





If you are like me, the past week or so has been such a tomato tease! Every morning I am out in the garden like Christmas morning hoping for my tomatoes to be ready, comparing the description of them to what I can see on the vine, giving them a little squeeze that maybe they are softening. The grape Juliette's are just turning, I can't help picking them and bringing them in so I can watch them change color on my counter. I am drawn to every recipe that features this almighty fruit, but only frustrated that it's just not time yet!!!! Waiting, thinking about tomorrow, this weekend, next week....

Black Vernissage
Dester
bounty on the counter

My sister was coming for brunch yesterday and I wanted to make something special that would be so delicious that she and her husband would hurry back.....I love being with them! I woke up dreaming about the luscious BLTs with a SilverSun Ranch fresh-laid fried egg we had last summer, but was again reminded that my tomatoes are still green. Then it hit me "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade"....or in this case...

Fried Green Tomatoes


What a blast, not only because I was getting a tomato fix, but I was creating something new. I got around the problem of waiting for tomorrow and putting off my joy. Sterling, my sister and her husband all got into this creation, made suggestions and waited with anticipation as we fried the tomatoes. With smiles we ate our creation....the crunchy exterior with a tangy, soft center of the tomatoes, the salty, richness of the bacon, the creamy spice of the Remoulade and a runny yoke.

Although we were completely satisfied, we had to try the tomatoes on their own with each person's favorite pepper sauce.....mine being Chipotle Tabasco.

Go with the flow, modify, create and get your JOY today and everyday!


FRIED GREEN BLT

3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon pickle juice (sweet or dill, your choice)
several shakes pepper sauce (this is to your taste)
1 teaspoon horseradish


4 large Green tomatoes (you will want extra slices with hot pepper sauce!)
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
1 cup Panko 
1/4 cup high heat oil

8 slices Applewood smoked bacon, but you can always have more pork!
4 eggs
1 Avocado sliced
6-8 Romaine lettuce leaves 
1 cup Micro Arugula
Mini pan rustic or favorite bread
sea salt
ground pepper

Mix first 6 items together and let set for an hour or two so the flavors come together. This is essentially a Remoulade sauce, but be creative and add what sounds delish to you!

Cut tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices, salt and let sit for 5 minutes. 

With 3 shallow bowls mix flour and Cajun seasoning in bowl #1, egg and buttermilk or milk in bowl #2, and panko in bowl #3. 

Heat oil in large skillet. dip tomatoes in bowl order and place in skillet. Don't crowd or they will steam and not get crispy. Once brown on both sides, place in a dish with a paper towel in a slightly warm oven.

Cook bacon.....your joy, bendy or crispy.

Fry eggs sunny side up. I love them runny.

Bread...toasted or not.

Lavish Remoulade on bread.

Layer on bread the bacon, tomato, lettuce, avocado, fried egg, sprinkle micro arugula, sea salt and ground pepper. If you put the top layer of bread make sure it has Remoulade sauce too.

Glass of cold white wine.

JOY!!!!

Serves 4

“Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.”
― Henri J.M. Nouwen






1 comment:

  1. I love that this experience reminds us how we needn't wait until the "perfect" time when we can enjoy something wonderful right here, right now. Thanks Babe.

    ReplyDelete