Sunday, June 2, 2013




BAD HAIR DAY ?
PRUNE


Like us, plants can have bad hair days. Maybe they need water or nutrients, but often it is just the need for a good pruning or cleaning up. How would you like a spent, brown flower or leaf hanging off your finger?

I grew up not liking Geraniums. That was until I traveled to Italy and experience how beautiful this plant can be. It's almost fluorescent flower against the deep green leaf trailing down an ancient wall.


















What made the Italian Geranium so spectacular was that they are honored and maintained. The dead flowers and leafs are always removed not only allowing the plant to shine, but also giving it room to shoot out another glorious bloom. Once I got this, my love affair began and I have been taking pickings from everywhere, sharing them with all that appreciate their beauty. They are so easy to start, as are begonias, another flower love of mine and so very tolerant.

BUT this all began with the simple lesson of pruning.

It is a sort of magic....it lightens the load, brings new life and can be so rewarding for the plant and you. A silent meditation, a mental cleansing and for sure, instant gratification at the huge difference you make.

My best escape at the annual family lake trip when the sibling rivalries are peaking, is to take a mental vacation and clean and prune my mother-in-laws huge Geraniums. I can concentrate on a affirmation or simply just zone out. Yikes, now they will know my secret!

It can also be a rediscovery. You would be surprised what lies under or behind an unruly plant. The other day while deadheading my iceberg roses and re-noticed the lovely trunk of a white birch tree hidden the roses. In a few short minutes, not only were the roses now shimmering with movement, but a second dimension was uncover behind them.



Now is a perfect time to take a look around and see who is hiding and needs a summer trim? Spring has done it's job growing and a good haircut before the hot summer months when energy needs to be stored will be much appreciated.

* prune early in the morning, same for cutting flowers or edibles

* make sure your shears are clean an sharp.

* rose and really woody trimming should not go into the compost........DO you have one? If not, this is a perfect day to start one.

* dress appropriately. I love to bikini garden, but is not it. You will be reaching into dark spots and handling a lot of sticky, sharp foliage. Cover your arms and legs. Use a salve on your hands before putting on your gloves. ALWAYS wear glasses and sunscreen.

* thank your garden before you start.

While your are pruning your physical garden, consider what else needs to be cleaned up or pruned in your life. A closet, a job or "friend" that makes you nuts, saps your energy or is just so overwhelming you are stuck and not living your full potential or enjoying it?

Some are easily repaired with a little effort, folding the pile of t-shirts neatly, making a TO DO list or having an honest conversation with your "friend". Although sometimes it is more drastic and a hard prune is necessary.

I recently faced this with a "friend". I was feeling sapped of energy and unproductive and realized that this "friend" I was spending a lot of time with really didn't like me. She spent most of our time together criticizing me if I didn't respond in a emotional manner she felt was right or teasing me in a subtle, but hurtful way. The other part of the time she spoke negatively about her other "friends", family and the world. The relationship was not enriching or fluid with a give and take that comes so easily with my other friends. In fact, most of my other friends didn't want to be around this person. I tried to set my boundaries and speak honestly about my needs to see if my "friend" would come half way, no luck and in fact it was met with high drama, another wasted energy. SO, even though the circumstances would be challenging, I removed this evasive and negative plant from my garden of friends. It was miraculous how much unperceived stress this relieved! I don't dread a text, my morning walk or a weekend of hiding out. I have no ill will toward her and wish her the desperate healing she needs. When our paths cross, I will be kind, but I am not sacrificing myself, my family or friends and perpetuate a negative energy.

We all deserve the best and can only obtain it with belief and practice.



"Give a lot, expect a lot, and if you don't get it, prune" Thomas J Peters






No comments:

Post a Comment