Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Caddyshack


YES GOPHERS!!!!

In prepping for a successful growing season these guys need to be dealt with. Three years ago we had our first gopher experience. Irene and I were watching a watermelon grow, every morning we would go out to the garden and check our little gem. Watermelon is Irene's favorite food so eating it was a highly anticipated day. We went out to possibly pick our long awaiting treat only to find it was gone. Irene cried and I started looking. The little devil had picked the watermelon, eaten half and left the other  half sitting on top of the compost pile!!! Perhaps polite, but that began my hunt for the best organic gopher elimination. I tried cayenne pepper, juicy fruit gum, those noisy vibrating spikes, the tube with the gopher trap, a the hose (above) and even considered night vision goggles and a pellet gun....I think my friend Frankie tried this? Then one day at my local garden I saw "gopher spurge", read the tag and bought several plants and panted them around the garden.......so far - so good.

Be very careful with it as it is poisonous and very invasive. It should always be handled with gloves and although the flower is very pretty the sap is like acid. Keep it pruned and throw what you don't want in a plastic bag and then the trash.




How we love sequestering, where no pests are pestering. Lorenz Hart ·

No comments:

Post a Comment